Saturday, February 28, 2009

My Testimony

Born on January 12, 1970 to a young girl of only 14 years, God had a plan for my life. That plan has taken many twists and turns, had many ups and downs. I guess you could say I am a miracle. That said, let me share with you my testimony.

On that day in January 1970, instead of performing a c-section on my mother, the doctor allowed her to deliver me naturally. Because she was only 14, she was not fully developed and was too small to deliver a child naturally. I got stuck in the birth canal and the doctor had to use forceps to pull me out. As he was pulling, the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck and strangled me. The oxygen supply was cut off from my brain, and when I emerged from the birth canal I had suffered brain damage causing a mild form of Cerebral Palsy. My mother was told to give me up or put me in a "home". She said, "No, I will raise her myself."

As I was growing up, education was a struggle. Schools had no idea what to do with me. My mother taught me to read by age 3, and I was a very independent child. The "special" (MRDD) school said I was too advanced to go there. Thank God. The regular school system was more concerned with my physical capabilities, so while other kids had recess, I sat in the library. Again, thank God. In high school, in the Orthopedically Handicapped class, I (and my mother) had to demand I be mainstreamed into college prep courses. I was told I was not college material. I was told to attend vocational school because the so-called "experts" did not think I had a chance at success in college.

I graduated from Wright State University in June 1993 with a B.A. in Sociology. In 2000 I met up with a few of these "experts" to present a proposal for a housing project for individuals with disabilities. I was instrumental in obtaining the funding for this project, and it was completed in 2007 and was dedicated in September 2008. God is good!!

During my teenage years I was told by these same "experts" that I would never drive a car. I even had my permit taken from me when I was 16. My mother had to teach me how to drive, and at the age of 25, after three attempts, I got my license. We mailed those "experts copies of my license witha note of "thanks".

I am now a born-again child of God...a believer in our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. However, I was not always saved. From the age of 12 to 29, I was a devout Muslim. I lost my peace with life at age 29. During the summer of 1999, over a period of 90 days, I attempted suicide 4 separate times. The only one who knew of these attempts, other than me, was God. I was planning a 5th a final try, when my brother asked me to go to church with him. I decided to go figuring that it would be the last time I would see him. God knew he could reach me through my family. I went to a service, and when I heard God's Word, something woke up inside me. I went back the next week, got saved and never looked back.

The journey doesn't stop there. I continued to grow spiritually, and in June 2004 married a good Christian man. God gave me my Boaz!

Sadly, I lost my mother to colon cancer in April of 2007. She went on to be with the Lord. But in return, God gave me one more miracle that the "experts" said would never happen. At the age of 37, I was able to carry a child 4 days past term. My husband Rob and I became parents for the first time giving birth to our daughter Kyria Ariel.

I am now starting a new business as a resume writer and advocate for disabled individuals in the workforce. I know God is not done yet, and even greater things are in store.

I hope this testimony inspires others. When the world tells you no, God is saying YES!

Be Blessed!
Sonia Emigh

PS -- My business site is up! Come check out www.saeconsulting.biz !!
Free Web Counters

Free Counter

4 comments:

  1. THANK U JESUS!!! PRAISER THIS IS AN EXCELLENT PLATFORM FOR A TESTIMONY SUCH AS URS. I LOVE IT AND GOD HAS DEFINITELY BLESSED YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE THAT IF U SPEAK VICTORY, NOT JUST DELIVERANCE, BUT VICTORY OVER YOUR SITUATION, IT SHALL BE DONE. THE LADY SAID IN THE BIBLE 'IT SHALL BE WELL'. WE NEED TO BELIEVE IT AND HAVE FAITH TO RECIEVE IT. GOD WILL GIVE US VICTORY OVER OUR SITUATIONS!!! THANK YOU FOR UR TESTIMONY SISTA SAE. I LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK U JESUS!!! PRAISER THIS IS AN EXCELLENT PLATFORM FOR A TESTIMONY SUCH AS URS. I LOVE IT AND GOD HAS DEFINITELY BLESSED YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE THAT IF U SPEAK VICTORY, NOT JUST DELIVERANCE, BUT VICTORY OVER YOUR SITUATION, IT SHALL BE DONE. THE LADY SAID IN THE BIBLE 'IT SHALL BE WELL'. WE NEED TO BELIEVE IT AND HAVE FAITH TO RECIEVE IT. GOD WILL GIVE US VICTORY OVER OUR SITUATIONS!!! THANK YOU FOR UR TESTIMONY SISTA SAE. I LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonya,

    All I can say is PRAISE GOD for releasing you to put this on here. My niece has Cerebral Palsy. My parents raised her. She is independent, has a job and lives in an assisted home environment. She's 33 years old, now. My parents' home was sold and purchased and sold and rehabbed by Creative Housing, Inc. You may be interested in if you haven't already found it at http://www.creativehousing.org/. The home stands at 4832 Harbor Blvd between S Hamilton and Noe-Bixby Rds.

    Kiss the baby for me!
    Carolyn Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonia,

    You have a great future ahead of you. The wisdom and knowledge you've gained through trials you've faced has served you well, and will continue to. So many go through struggles and don't understand why. God will never give you a life that makes Him unnecessary. If He never allowed us to struggle, we would never need to call on Him or have a relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete